Friday, May 22, 2009

Samples from the South






I was listening to the rough mixes of our album tonight/this morning & I was remembering when I collected the samples for the beats. Its fun listening back & forgetting some stuff but then suddenly recalling it crystal clearly. Some samples were from Middle Eastern records Andrex gave me, jazz records, reggae records, classic rock, soul, etc etc etc ... I threw in a few guitar parts & some keys @ the Studio with Gumshu to give it some color.


I especially enjoyed hearing the samples that I gathered on my trip to Costa Rica @ the end of 2007. I was very excited when I found out I was going (for many reasons), but I really think the biggest reason was I knew I was going to be coming back with music from a country other than this one. I made sure I got plenty of stuff too. A lot got put on The Wine Thieves record ... one major one was cut however (a small clip of it is on an old JBTC promo on YouTube).


By the way, the pictures above are what got me to thinking about all this. The first one is of this very old looking house. It was really a garage with a room on top ... but it looked in place. The one below was in San José, Costa Rica. I went through this long enclosed market that was still outside ... if that makes sense. But, these guys were dancing around in the middle of the street wearing these gigantic heads of famous pop culture characters. I know one of them was Freddy Krueger, knife fingers & all. The rest are a blur ... but it was an interesting sight. Everyone gathered around to watch these guys. This homeless guy (in the photo) seemed to be doing a ritualistic dance with these human bobble-heads. I should of asked where to get what he had.

- party

P.S. The 3rd photo is a giant fish (obviously) that this dude from the long market held up for me after he saw me taking pictures of everything. It was bigger in person.

No comments: