Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Practice


I woke up insanely early Wednesday morning. It's a horrible feeling when you awake from slumber recalling a jury duty summons. But, that's what happened. So, I stumbled out of bed & hit the showers. I sped all the way to court, I think I was hoping to get pulled over so in some way I could get out of it. It didn't work, I just got there quicker. I smoked a few cigarettes before stepping inside where I had to go thru a metal detector. It went off, of course, they always do for me, but they waved their magic wands & deemed me nonthreatening.

In short, I was in the court all day. Just waiting. I talked to the person next to me for awhile, but that got old. The only fun part was telling the judge that I could not be impartial to the case due to my lack of trust in law enforcement. My number was never called again. That was the positive of the day, the negative was it was too late for me to go to Hype's for practice.


I decided to head up to Newark for the night to chill with Chuck Treble & some of his crew. I took this photo from his apartment while we all got drunk off Jack. A freestyle busted out in an instant & we all started vibin'. Treb broke out yet another new strain that just knock me off my feet. Beautiful shit. I passed out completely skunked on the couch for something like 3 hours before I woke up to head to Hype's for a 2nd try. Chuck came along for the trip, so I had plenty of blunts to chief. Leaving from Newark added another good hour to the drive, but the beats knockin' out my speakers made everything just fly by.


We rolled into Williamsport real quick to pick up Styles East. He was chillin' @ a record store near the Sheetz gas station. After he jumped in the car, we rode up 45 minutes to Wellsboro to hit up 104.5 The Buzz. Hype was waiting with DJ Stretch for a radio interview. As luck would have it, Tony Walgrins was a few towns over signing a new emcee to his stable of artists. He decided to stop by the station & rock the interview with us. Everything went great. We mostly discussed hip hop & the records hanging on the station walls. Good times. I'm pretty sure we smoked the entire time ... on air.

After the interview, we all split up. Stretch had to stay @ the station to continue his show. Chuck & East headed out to Mansfield to meet up with some girls Style's knows for a BBQ & some drinking. Hype & I headed back to his spot to practice. Tony tagged along, he wanted to hear how things were going ... being he is our manager.

We got back to Hype's & set all our shit up in the basement. We rocked thru the set a few times for Tony. Like always, he gave some constructive criticism, but we're used to it. Plus, we didn't mind hearing him yap away because we knew he was just about to leave, he just wanted a sample. After the lecture, we gave our pounds & Tony headed back to Newark ... long drive.

The two of us finished the rest of the rehearsal on our own. We worked out some kinks & ran into some problems & rocked it @ points. We both gave our practice mixed reviews ... but, it's understandable due to the fact that Hype's had his move on his mind. He's not moving far from Covington, but moving is still a bitch.

(Side note: This Sunday will be the last time Hype & I will be practicing in the JBTC Basement. More on that in this Satursday's blog.)

So, overall, the practice went fine. That seems to be the appropriate word. But we are not discouraged in the slightest. Ever band goes thru a small bump in the road. And that's all it was. Plus, the new EP is closer to being on it's way than we thought ... we're moving a lot quicker than anticipated ... more on that as well, soon.

After practice, Hype & I decided waited for Chuck & East to return from their extravaganza by rolling up a big fattie & smokin' up. We just laughed & talked about old times & old projects we've done & just life in general. Good vibe.

Chuck & East finally roll in, both with fuck hair. They obviously got laid ... the grins gave it away to. The already had a blizz rolled up & although Hype & I just chiefed, we decided to touch the sky. The four off us got RIPPED. Off our minds. Chuck leaped out of his chair & busted out 4 mics & started up Cool Edit. We must of freestyled for hours over old beats I've made, Madlib instrumentals & all kinds of shit. It was tight. But, after that ... we klonked out.

The next morning we woke up all looking like bums. Burnt out. Hungover. Dirty. The works. Of coarse, we had to do one last wake & bake before we all headed out ... so we did. I love those wake & bakes. At that point, we said our goodbyes & Styles, Chuck & myself hopped into my dented Corolla & headed back. Styles went back to Williamsport & I drove Chuck's ass all the way back to Newark before going back to my part of PA. Hard shit. Good times over all. It goes in the books.

Til next,

- Party

No comments: